Sunday, February 25, 2007

I was a serious boy only in school(1)

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 3 I Suffer From Severe Selective Mutism

I was a serious boy only in school(1)

* * * * * * * * * *

[I Was a Serious Boy Only in School]

Serious, perfectionism, obedient...

Are there such kind of children with selective mutism?

When I suffered from severe selective mutism, I was also called Majime (serious) in school. It was odd. I was an ordinary boy in my house, but when I went to school, I became a serious boy.

Moreover, I was viewed as a bright boy in school(it was a misundersting, though).

So, I earned some respect from my classmates. I was not bullied in the class.

[Why Was I Viewed As A Serious Boy?]

* Because I was so obedient? *

I was so obedient to teachers. I never rebelled against them. Sometimes I very firmly adhered to rules. That probably caused my teacher and classmates to view me as a serious boy.

But I had not been serious in school before my selective mutism got worse. Selective mutism made me serious?

* Because I made efforts by using my inferior complex as a springboard? *

I had an inferior complex by nature. After I got selective mutism, my complex worsened. But I used the complex as a springboard and made efforts. Maybe that caused my teacher and classmates to view me as a serious boy.

For instance, I was very weak in PE and that gave me complex. But I thought that that was why I should train my body hard in PE lesson.

* Because I studied arithmetic in my break between classes? *

I couldn't make friends in the new class. I was always alone in my break between classes. Having nothing to do with, I studied arithmetic alone. Maybe that caused my teacher and classmates to view me as a serious boy.

And I was viewed as a bright boy (it was a misundersting, though). When quiet children are studying without uttering a word, many Japanese seem to regard them as bright children.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story