Friday, March 02, 2007

Lack of friends made me happy (2)

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 3 I suffer from severe selective mutism

Lack of friends made me happy (2)

* * * * * * * * * *

[Positive solitude]

We should think more positively about being alone. There are lots of advantages in solitude. For example, solitude gives us free time.

I think that there are two types of people. Those who feel pleasure to mingle with their friends, those who feel pleasure to be alone.

But most teachers and parents teach their children that it's miserable to be alone and children should make a lot of friends. So, almost all children, including those who feel pleasure to be alone in nature, believe that way. Such myth inflict pain on children with no friends.

Why should children make friends? I think that they impose specific value to children.

No one may sympathize with that idea.

But I believed that way. I didn't at all want to make friends.

[After that]

Lastly, I'll write a bit about my life after I graduated from elementary school.

As I get older, my above thought got stronger and stronger. Some teachers advised me, "You may as well have friends. If you have any friends, they can be treasures for you throughout your life." But I didn't change my mind.

Especially when I was in junior high school, I thought that I should not have had friends, because many teachers said, "Don't be influenced by others if you want to pass the college entrance exam."

But when I was in college, I wavered. I heard that students who didn't have friends couldn't land a job. So, I thought something like, "Should I make friends to land a job?"

Maybe I was an eccentric person.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story