Saturday, August 05, 2006

Entering Kindergarten

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 1 Before I Became Selectively Mute (2)

Entering Kindergarten

* * * * * * * * * *

I entered kindergarten when I was 5 years old.

It is well known that in most cases the selectively mute children's problems happen when they enter kindergarten or elementary school. But my problem had not begun until I was the fourth grade.

Although I didn't suffer from selective mutism in kindergarten, I encountered other difficulties.

[Entering Kindergarten]

I enrolled a neighborhood kindergarten. Although some kindergartens accepted 3-4 years old children, the one recruited only 5 years old.

I was unable to adapt to the new environment. I suppose everyone more or less faced difficulties when they enter kindergarten. But my experience was terrible.

[I was Isolated]

As I wrote before, there was an apartment complex behind my house. I found that many children in the kindergarten lived in the apartment complex and they already attach to each other. But I wasn't. I was isolated.

(To be continued.)