Friday, July 28, 2006

Late Developer ?

As I wrote, the main purpose of this blog is to share my memories of selective mutism in English. So, I'll share them from now on.

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 1 Before I Became Selectively Mute (1)

Late Developer ?

* * * * * * * * * *

[Speech Delay]

"Is my son mentally retarded?"

My mother ran into trouble when I was an infant. I had not uttered a word until I was 3 years old.

I'm not sure whether my speech delay was related to my selective mutism, though, I suppose I was a late developer.

[A Few Friends]

When I was a baby, my family moved to Kansai region, western Japan, because my father was transferred there. After we lived in an apartment in Kansai for a few years, my parents rented a house in the same town. We lived there.

There were about 10 houses nearby my one and some young married couples and children lived there. Among them I made friends with two children, one girl (I-chan) and one boy (T-kun.) We often played together.

[Apartment Complex behind my House]

There was an apartment complex behind my house. Many children lived there, but I couldn't get along with them. I played with a few friends, such as I-chan and T-kun until I entered kindergarten.

(to be continued)