Monday, November 26, 2007

Is selective mutism your enemy?

Most people think that selective mutism is enemy.

If children suffer from selective mutism, parents, teachers, therapists or physicians try to help them to overcome their mutism.

That is no exception in Japan. Many Japanese who once suffered or now suffer from selective mutism express their sufferings on their blogs or BBSes. They say, "overcome selective mutism," or "fight against selective mutism."

I can agree with them to some extent, because I also once suffered from selective mutism. So, I provide some information about treatment of selective mutism on my Japanese website The Selective Mutism Journal.

But I don't necessarily view my selective mutism as my enemy. I sometimes view it as a friend of mine. In addition, I view it as part of me. I think that is because I suffered from selective mutism about 10 years. I lead my life with anxiety. If someone said to me that selective mutism need to be treated when I suffered from it, I might felt depressed. I may have taken it to mean that mute children such as me should not live.

The view that selective mutism is enemy may relate to the philosophy of western medicine. Western medicine regard disease or disorder as enemy and combat them.