Saturday, November 10, 2007

I love Enka!!!!!

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 4 Selective mutism and my junior high school years

I love Enka!!!!!

* * * * * * * * * *

When I was the eighth grade, I was attracted to Enka. Enka is a genre of Japanese popular song.

Enka (Wikipedia article)

It was odd, because Enka is popular among older people, not young people. None of my classmates probably liked Enka. They liked J-pop, J-Rock or Western music.

Why was I attracted to Enka?

[Sentimental and melancholy melody]

Many Enka melodies are sentimental and melancholy. That grabbed my interest. I thought that my childhood was tragedy rather than comedy.

[Life]

One important thema of Enka is life. Although I was a child, I often questioned the meaning of life.

[Isolation from children my age]

I felt that I was isolated from children my age since I'd had selective mutism. That seemed to arouse strange feelings.

I seemed to feel bitter hostility to children my age in my heart. So, I detested music they loved, such as J-pop, J-Rock or Western music. To me, these were evil music. My attention focused on music they didn't like, Enka. When I listened to Enka, I sometimes felt pleasure in listening to music that children my age aren't interested in.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story