Friday, December 07, 2007

Ninth grade (1)

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 4 Selective mutism and my junior high school years

Ninth grade

* * * * * * * * * *

By the time I was the ninth grade, my selective mutism seemed to get better. Soon after I moved up to the ninth grade, photographers came to our classroom and took pictures of us. One of those pictures is in our yearbook. The picture shows me laughing with my classmates. When I went to elementary school, I couldn't laugh in school. But when I was the ninth grade, I could laugh.

* * * * * * * * * *

New classroom teacher was a female art teacher. She had been just transferred from a board of education, so I didn't know her.

Since I was the fifth grade, my successive homeroom teachers had paid special attention to me. But the new teacher didn't. So, I was dissatisfied with her.

In retrospect, I think that I might have had a sense of entitlement. "I was a student with special needs. All teachers, especially my homeroom teacher, have to pay special attention to me." It's true that I was a student with special needs. Many teachers and classmates had done me many kindnesses. But that might cause me to have a sense of entitlement.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story