Monday, December 04, 2006

Tomishige, Bullying and Selective Mutism

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 2 I Get Selective Mutism

Tomishige, Bullying and Selective Mutism

* * * * * * * * * *

[Bullies]

I was bullied by many classmates, sometimes even by non-classmates.

I cannot forget K, my classmate who bullied me most. K was a cunning boy. He understood how to bully weak children, how to take advantage of them and how to bully them without being found by teachers.

[Enduring Dark Days]

In Japan, some people say, "Bullying are attributed not only to bullies but also to bullied children." If so, what kind of problems caused the bullying? My weakness and shyness? Transferring from other region?

I suppose the reason why my homeroom teacher scolded me again and again was that she thought the bullying are attributed to Tomishige's weakness and shyness. So, she encouraged me to become a tough boy. But in retrospect, I suspect I suffered from selective mutism.

I sometimes talked about bullying with my mother. She often said to me, "Revenge on bullies!" But in school, I got extremely shy, and couldn't speak and move well. In addition, bullies were not one ore two, but tens of classmates. It was not easy for me to revenge on tens of bullies.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story