Monday, December 18, 2006

Nengajo, Cumbersome Work!

December is busy month for Japanese. In Japan, from earlier times, December is called Shiwasu, which means teachers are so busy that they run around.

In this busy month, Japanese have to send Nengajo, New Year's greeting postcard. It's a custom in this country.

In earlier times, people wrote Nengajo in handwriting. But today, most people make and print cards with PC and printer. So, in winter, many varieties of Nengajo software are sold well in bookstores and electric stores.

I don't like such an old custom. I can't understand why we have to send postcard in the Internet age. Some even sent cards to people who they don't know well, because it's a custom.

Making and printing Nengajo is cumbersome work. I don't want to spend my valuable time on such thing. I have a lot of ground to cover.