Wednesday, September 06, 2006

1st-3rd grade (2)

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 1 Before I Became Selectively Mute (6)

1st-3rd grade (2)

* * * * * * * * * *

[After-School Hours]

I can't clearly remember what I did after school.

I went to learn calligraphy and swimming. But I don't know what I did on the day when the lessons are not offered.

Children except for me seemed to play with their friends every day. But I had few such friends. Maybe I played outside on my own.

I may have studied or done nothing in particular at home. I didn't play TV games and read comics very much, because my mother didn't buy for me. I have some memories of watching TV.

[Don't Call Children's Names without Honorifics!]

We were not supposed to call children's names without honorifics because of the school rule. All children, even disobedient children, obeyed this rule meekly. So, some children bullied me and said, "Drop dead!, Mr. Tomishi!" How courteous name-calling it was!

Growing up in such circumstances, I believed that calling classmates' names without honorifics is an appalling act. But I realized that it's not a common practice when I moved to another region afterward.

[Photo of Making a V Sign]

Photo of Making a V SignThis photo is from my album. It was taken when I went on an excursion. I was the third grade.

This photo indicates that I could make a V sign then. After a half year, I coudln't make a V sign because I suffered from selective mutism.

(To be continued)