Friday, June 27, 2008

My Japanese accent

I study English every day. But learning English is not easy.

One learning method is "shadowing." While I hear someone speaking English (for example, from radio, CD, etc.), I repeat the same sentences I heard. One merit of shadowing is correcting my pronunciation.

I can't pronounce English correctly. I pronounce English with a strong Japanese accent.

But that means I had Japanese accent, although I didn't speak Japanese very much because of selective mutism.

My selective mutism disappeared later. I overcome selective mutism when I was around 20 years old. So, I didn't speak Japanese at school for a long time. But I also got selective mutism later. I spoke normally in kindergarten and school until I was 9 years old. Maybe I grew up with Japanese accent at that time.