Sunday, June 15, 2008

Four girl students

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 5 Selective mutism and my high school years

Four girl students

* * * * * * * * * *

After the first homeroom, four female students came to me and said, "Tomishige is kawaii! (cute!)"

During the homeroom period, I introduced myself. Although I had selective mutism, I managed to do so. Maybe they thought I was cute at that time. Or maybe they found me cute before homeroom.

They were the most active girls in the class. They usually said "Tomishige is kawaii!" and tried to make friends with me. They seemed to find me interesting.

I went through the same thing when I was the eighth grade. As an adolescent boy, I was happy at the time. But this time I felt unpleasant. I thought it was rude to say kawaii to a 15 years old boy even if they did so without malice. So, I sometimes gave them the cold shoulder. They sometimes got angry with me. But generally we were on good terms.

I didn't understand why girl students thought I was cute. When I wrote about that on my Japanese weblog The Selective Mutism Journal, a few readers of my blog said to me I looked cute, so they called me cute. But I guess the girls called me cute because they thought my behavior (such as my mute behavior, nodding and shaking my head, etc.) was cute.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story