Thursday, January 10, 2008

Shugaku ryoko - School trip in Japan

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 4 Selective mutism and my junior high school years

Shugaku ryoko - School trip in Japan

* * * * * * * * * *

Shugaku ryoko is one of the biggest school event in Japan. Shugaku ryoko, literally means "trip for learning", is school trip that aims to broaden students' horizons and to let students learn cooperation.

Shugaku ryoko was one of the most popular school event among students. Students are released from schoolwork and can enjoy trip with their friends. But for me, it was depressing event. I had no friends. I couldn't cooperate with students. I had selective mutism. Rather than Shugaku ryko, I liked schoolwork.

* * * * * * * * * *

Soon after I moved up to the ninth grade, my junior high school planned Shugaku ryoko for ninth grade students.

As part of preparation for trip, we students made Hans. Han is a group that belonged to classes. We had to travel in units of class and Han.
Almost all students had friends, and they grouped together and then made Hans. But I had no friends. When I was about to be left alone, two male classmates invited me to join their group. Han had to be composed of 3 male and 3 female students. But only 2 male students joined their group. So, they invited me. I joined their group.

* * * * * * * * * *

Our Shugaku ryoko was a trip of three days and two nights. Our destination was Kansai region, including Osaka and Kyoto.

I enjoyed school trip with no serious problems.

But I suffered from trouble when we reached the final destination Expoland, an amusement park in Osaka. Teachers accompanied by we students permitted to play freely in the park. So, almost all students began to play with their friends. But I couldn't. I had no friends. What I could do was wandering around rides and attractions alone and wait waiting for time to pass.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story