Thursday, January 24, 2008

Club (3)

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 4 Selective mutism and my junior high school years

Club (3)

* * * * * * * * * *

As I mentioned earlier, I belonged to Igo and Shogi club. Igo is a strategic board game. Shogi is Japanese chess. But no club members played Igo. All members liked Shogi.

[Senpai, Kohai]

Senpai Kohai relationship is one of the most important element in club in Japan. Senpai is Kohai's upperclass student(s). Kohai is Senpai's underclass student(s). Kohai have to respect Senpai.

But some Kohai of mine didn't pay due repect to me.A Kohai of mine usually called me Tomishigekun. Kun is a Japanese title used towards one's juniors and contemporaries. Another Kohai sometimes insulted me and said, "I don't like Tomishigekun."

Indeed, in our club, members didn't traditionally stick to Senpai Kohai relationship very much. But even so, they were rudeness.

I guess that's because I was looked down on by them due to my mutism.

[Shogi Championships]

We took part in a team competition of Shogi Championships for junior high school in summer vacation. First, we challenged the local competition. But only two schools (including my school) participated in it. We won and advanced to the national competition. But we were beaten by natinal-class players.

When summer vacation ended and new school term began again, our club received a commendation from principal at all-school assembly. For some reason, I received the commendation as a representative of our club. My classmates and homeroom teacher were surprised to see that. "Tomishige took part in the national competition of Shogi!"

I was overestimated. We defeated only one team and advanced to the national competition. But I couldn't explain that. I had selective mutism. I was misunderstood.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story