Monday, January 14, 2008

Poem book of former SM sufferer (Japan)

I found a Japanese poem book by former SM sufferer, Hana ni nosete ISBN 978-4286035819.

The author was Yui Natsukawa. According to her book, she was born in 1985. When she was the fifth grade, she was diagnosed as selective mutism. When she was the ninth grade, she refused to go to school due to emotional distress and became Hikikomori. She suffered from auditory hallucination, and When she was 17, she was hospitalized. But she overcame mental illnesses at 19.

One day, she contributed her poems to a poem contest and received an honorable mention. Publishers asked her to publish her poems. That changed her life. She has published two poem books.

* * * * * * * * * *

Although I only read her poems using Amazon's "search inside," I'll give my impression of her poem book Hana ni nosete.

Many of her poems seem to be written to provide encouragement to readers. I guess she and the publisher target those who are troubled about something, especially mental health problems.

I feel that her encouragement poems have persuasive power. That's because she also suffered many mental illnesses but overcome them.

Although the author is a former SM sufferer, this book is not well-known among Japanese former or current SM sufferers and their parents. So, I added this book to my website about selective mutism to show them.

http://smjournal.com/books1.html

Index of SM in Japan