Sunday, August 19, 2007

Club (1)

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 4 Selective mutism and my junior high school years

Club (1)

* * * * * * * * * *

At my junior high school we had to belong to some club.

Club can be classified into two types. One is sport club. For instance, baseball club, basket ball club, track-and-field club, etc. The other is culture club. For instance, brass band club, art club, science club, etc.

[Sport club]

At first I was going to join sport club. I thought that I might be able to change myself if I was trained in sport club. As a student with selective mutism, I wanted to change my anxious temperament.

But seeing other students who were going to join sport club, I abandoned that idea. I was too different from them. I was not active as they were. I had no confidence in going through rigorous training with them.

[Igo and Shogi club]

Fortunately, my school had Igo and Shogi club. Igo is a strategic board game. Shogi is Japanese chess. I was good at Shogi, so I decided to join the club. Of course, Igo and Shogi club was a culture club, not a sport club.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story