Friday, July 20, 2007

New school life

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 4 Selective mutism and my junior high school years

New school life

* * * * * * * * * *

I entered D public junior high school.

There were three elementary schools in D junior high school district.

a) A elementary school: I went to this school until I transferred to C elementary school.
b) B elementary school
c) C elementary school: I graduated from this school.
d) D junior high school: Most children who graduated from A, B, and C elementary school go on to this school.

So, I enrolled in the same school as my old classmates.

But actually I wanted to go to another school if possible. I thought that I might overcome my selective mutism if I went to a school where no one knew me.

In addition, I had a concern. If I went to D junior high school, I would meet students who once bullied me in A elementary school.

[New classmates]

I met new classmates.

Surprisingly, they included K and S, friends of mine. So, my anxiety about school was reduced a little. I guessed that Y, my former homeroom teacher, took into account my anxious temperament.

More surprisingly, they also included my former classmates who once bullied me when I had gone to A elementary school. But their attitude towards me changed significantly. They didn't bullied me, but instead they were friendly to me.

Besides, M, a former friend of mine, was also in the same class. He remembered me. But M and I didn't get friendly with each other as we used to be. M was friends with other students. I was also friends with K and S.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story