Saturday, July 07, 2007

Graduation

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 3 I suffer from severe selective mutism

Graduation

* * * * * * * * * *

[School memories]

Before graduation, we school children had to write an essay about school memories. The essay would appear in yearbook.

Most classmates had pleasant memories and wrote them. But I didn't have such memories. I don't know whether that was because I suffered from selective mutism.

In the end, I wrote a memory of Gasshuku (a Japanese word that means "lodging together"). Although Gasshuku was a painful event for me, I wrote that Gasshuku was one of the most pleasant memory.

[Graduation ceremony]

The graduation ceremony was held in gymnasium in late March. We received our diploma from principal.

Then we returned to classroom. Our homeroom teacher said a final farewell to us.

And lastly, we handed carnations to our teacher one at a time. Handing carnations, almost all classmates said "Arigatou gozaimashita" (Thank you very much) to him.

But only I handed a carnation to him without uttering a word. I also wanted to thank him, but I couldn't.

* * * * * * * * * *

In this way, I graduated from elementary school.

I suffered from selective mutism when I was the fourth grade. Since then, three years had passed. But my mutism didn't disappear. Even worsened.

I went on to junior high school without curing selective mutism.

(To be continued to the next chapter)

Index of SM story