Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Friend of Mine Protected Me from Bullying

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 2 I Get Selective Mutism

A Friend of Mine Protected Me from Bullying

* * * * * * * * * *

I had nothing to complain about my new home life.

But in school, I felt there very stressful environment. I was bullied and got mute. I was worried about bullying rather than selective mutism then. I guessed I got mute because many classmates bullied me.

I was bullied by most classmates and even other classes' children. But there was a boy who protected me from bullying. His name was M, a carpenter' son.

I seemed to feel ease with M. One day, a girl classmate criticized me for talking only with M but not with other classmates. But even if I was with M, I couldn't talk smoothly.

I sometimes went to M's house to play with him. This was recorded in my diary which I turned in my homeroom teacher.

May 31 Walk

Invited by him, I went to M's house. I went on foot, because I couldn't go by bicycle. The distance between his house and mine is not so far away. But it takes some time, so I run. I arrived at an intersection. Traffic lights turned green, and I went again. Then, I arrived at M's house.

I was stupid. I recorded the process of going to M's house, not how I played with him. "Invited by him, I went to M's house" shows my passiveness due to selective mutism.

The comments by my homeroom teacher on this was shock to me.

M will change to another school in the next term.

I was unlucky. I had no friends except M. And M was the only classmate who protected me from bullying. But M was to move.

In the second term, M transferred to the B elementary school, near the A elementary school where I went to. No classmate protected me from bullying. I was bullied more severely.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story