Saturday, April 18, 2009

Teachers and classes (2)

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 5 Selective mutism and my high school years

Teachers and classes (2)

* * * * * * * * * *

[Japanese class]

There were two types of Japanese classes. One was contemporary writings. The other was classic literature. My homeroom teacher taught contemporary writings.

As in the case of English classes, teachers assigned us preparation. We had to solve problems about contemporary writings or translate classic language into current one. I did so and read answers and translations I thought in advance when I asked to do so by teachers in class.

[Japanese history class]

As in the case of English classes, keeping the habit of keeping eye contact with teachers, Japanese history teacher also found me and got close to me.

[A PE teacher]

I was surprised to see my PE teacher at the first PE lesson. I had once seen him when I was freshman in high school. He also remembered me.

In addition to selective muitsm, I had some complex. I was weak in sports. But he was interested in me and friendly talked me. He called me "Tomi-chan" with affection. I had not known such a PE teacher.

* chan is a Japanese suffix.
Japanese honorifics
(New window open)

One odd thing for me is that he sometimes talked about love when he talked to me. He sometimes talked about A, the most beautiful girl in my class. It seemed to me that he wanted me to be interested in the opposite sex. I guessed that he saw me as a boy who was deeply interested in study but not in girls. So, maybe he felt anxious for my future. I felt anxious in another way. I was not interested in A. If my classmates heard the conversation, they may think that I loved A. What is worse, if the classmates told A that Tomishige loved A, I was misunderstood even by A.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story