Sunday, April 12, 2009

Teachers and classes (1)

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 5 Selective mutism and my high school years

Teachers and classes (1)

* * * * * * * * * *

Many teachers were concerned with me when I was sophomore. Homeroom teacher, English teacher, Japanese teacher, history teacher, mathematics teacher, etc.

I developed a good relationship with them.

I guessed almost all teachers saw me a hardworking students. In fact, I got high marks in regular exams.

[Homeroom teacher]

My homeroom teacher had a stern look on her face. At first I was afraid of her. But when I get to know her personality, I realized that I misunderstood her.

She seemed to be a veteran teacher. She know well how to lead students to study to pass entrance exams to the Universities.

[English class]

In my high school, there were two types of English lessons. One was reader (lessons in reading English). The other was grammar. In both classes, teachers translated English textbook into Japanese, solved problems in textbook, or explained English grammar.

Teachers assigned us preparation. We had to translate English into Japanese or solve problems in advance. So we did so and wrote translation and answers on our notebooks before English classes began. When teachers asked us to translate textbook or solve problems in class, we read our notebooks.

I also did so. Although I had selective mutism, I could read sentences written on books or notebooks in class in a low voice. In retrospect, that may have been a behavior therapy.

As I wrote earlier, I had been in the habit of keeping eye contact with teachers when I listened in class although I had selective mutism (see Han note, Eye contact, Majime).

Keeping the habit, an Engilsh grammar teacher found me and got close to me. Thanks to my habit of nodding, I could get acquainted with him although I hardly spoke.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story