Thursday, September 04, 2008

A student with selective mutism was elected class president

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 5 Selective mutism and my high school years

A student with selective mutism was elected class president

* * * * * * * * * *

We held an election for class president in the midst of the school year. In my school the term of a class president is a half year. But no one ran for the election. So, we decided to recommend someone to class president.

To my surprise, one classmates recommended me! Except me, about five classmates were recommended.

I had no confidence in my ability to fulfill my responsibilities as a class president. I was a student with selective mutism.

After that classmates voted candidates, and ballots were counted. As a result, I was elected class president!

It was unbelievable. I thought my classmates must be a poor judge of human character. They elected me probably only because I was at the top of the class.

What was worse, my homeroom teacher said, "I can leave this school without worry as Tomishige was elected class president." She was pregnant and was going to leave school soon.

But anyway, I was elected class president. I vowed I worked hard to fulfill my responsibilities as a class president.

* * * * * * * * * *

Class president had to say "Kiritsu"(Stand up,) "Rei(Bow your head to teacher,)" and "Chakuseki (Be seated)" at the beginning and end of a class. But It was a tall order for a student with selective mutism.

I managed to say Kiritsu, Rei and Chakuseki in a small voice. For instance, if I said "Kiritsu(Stand up,)" classmates near me could hear my small voive, but others couldn't. So, classmates near me stood up first. Then, others noticed me saying "Kiritsu," because classmates near me stood up. So, others stood up next although they couldn't hear my small voice. It was odd.

I managed to carry on duties as class president. Fortunately, two vice class presidents supported me well.

But after I became class president, my classmates got slack. I blamed myself. I guessed they elected me probably because they thought I would not be able to show leadership if I became class president. If I can't show leadership, they can slack off.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story