Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My teacher

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 5 Selective mutism and my high school years

My teacher

* * * * * * * * * *

In terms of studying, I got good grades in my high school. A few months after I entered the school, I got 100 marks in an English grammar test. About 600 students in my high school took the test, but only 2 students (including me) got 100 marks. In addition, I most always reached the top of my class.

As far as studying goes, I was an outstanding student in my high school. Many students were good at sports but not studying.

But there was another reason. My homeroom teacher unlocked my potential. She believed my potential and often praised me. I'd never met such a teacher before. Under her direction, I got better grades.

I had a good relationship with her. She appreciated me. I made an effort to live up to her expectations.

One day in Chinese classics class, she taught us a proverb Shutsuran no homare. That means students surpass their teachers. She said, "I want someone to surpass me in future like the proverb." I determined to study hard and to surpass her in future.

But she didn't seemed to see my selective mutism as a problem. One day she had an interview with students' guardians. She also interviewed with my mother and said to her, "Tomishige is no problem!" Being quiet is a virtue in Japan. I guess she thought Tomishige was a good student who was bright and quiet.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story