Thursday, September 13, 2007

My neighbor

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 4 Selective mutism and my junior high school years

My neighbor

* * * * * * * * * *

My homeroom teacher changed seating every month. Seating was decided by drawing lots.

I loved one classmate girl. I prayed that I would be assigned to her neighbor. But my pray didn't work.

* * * * * * * * * *

One day, I was assigned to Y's neighbor as a result of drawing lots.

Y was a classmate girl. It may be rude to say this, but she seemed to be a quiet and undistinguished girl in my class. Maybe some classmates didn't know her. In a way, I thought that she resembled me.

But when I first seated next to her, my impression of her changed.

She spoke to me pleasantly. She was very friendly with me. Until then, I had thought that she seemed to be undistinguished. But when I got close with her, I first realized her pleasant personality.

One episode I remember was that she said an interesting thing to me. "I think Tomishige is funny at heart." I'd never met people saying such a thing. I was a child with selective mutism. I was an impassive at school. But actually when I went back home, I became a funny boy.

* * * * * * * * * *

Unfortunately, Y moved to Tokyo at the end of the school year.

I wanted to say something to her, but I couldn't.

(To be continued)

Index of SM story